Mark Riley and I visited the Jumbo Mountain Picnic Area (now South Boulder Creek Interpretive area) to review construction progress. We were hosted by Blair Hurst from Walsh Environmental. So far:
Moffat Tunnel area construction is complete
South Boulder Creek Interpretive area
- Rock staging complete
- Willow staging and planting complete
- 2 of 7 pools complete – should finish next week
So far it looks great! Here are some pictures and a short video:
On March 16, Mark Riley and I traveled to the Moffat Tunnel area to check on progress. We first underwent a railroad safety orientation (very interesting) and then toured the construction site. So far:
- Rock harvesting from slope immediately south of the creek is complete (for Moffat and Jumbo)
- Several long riffle/pool areas were complete – looked very natural and fishy!
- Some whole willows were planted along the stream bed and bank stabilization was complete
- The Moffat area construction should complete next week and activities will move to Jumbo.
- All activities should complete by 11/8 – weather permitting
- Some willow cutting/staking will be done by BFC next spring – more to come later on this activity.
- Here is a link to Mark’s pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q5oddylhz34l6w7/kwZQ40hf1V
Drove through the rain to attend a project meeting for Upper South Boulder Creek today
Attendees from Flywater, Walsh, CPW, Denver Water, USFS and BFC
Design 75% complete – did approximately 20 cross sections of the two sites
Permitting on pace to be granted by 10/1 (Notification to proceed)
Site prep starting now – Fuel Cells and Excavators on site next week – start staging rock to areas of need.
Construction should complete by 1st week of November
Contractor will reseed areas as equipment is moved out.
BFC to replant willows from cuttings next spring – before leaf out. Will need volunteers then (10 or more).
We have selected a contractor Team Flywater and Walsh.
Conceptual Design Document link is posted on the website
Next steps - Finalize contract – preparation for permitting and finalizing desing
Construction should really get rolling in September.
Volunteer needs – probably minimal this year – may need some replanting of willows in harvest areas. Next spring – reseeding and more planting. Will provide more details later.
On May 14th we met with potential bidders to discuss improvements to upper South Boulder Creek. There were approximately 10 potential bidders along with representatives from Colorado DOW, U.S. Forest Service, Denver Water Board and Boulder Flycasters. We spent about 1.5 hours on bid details and over two hours looking at the improvement sites. Next steps are:
Proposals due 6/14
Contractor selection – 7/1
Begin Construction – 8/1
These hardy volunteers braved wind and cold to support Colorado DOW with counting fish in upper South Boulder Creek and Jumbo Mountain and Moffat Tunnel:
Allen Nakagawa, Bob Bush, Greg Biesecker, Greg Nelson, Ron Anderson and Vince Kotsubo
Thanks for the help!
Thanks to the Allen Nakagawa, Greg Nelson, Michael Fellows, Mark Riley, Greg Biesecker, Vince Kotsubo and Michael Signorella who volunteered for electrofishing South Boulder Creek. It was fun and educational for those who got to participate.
Mike and Vince helping capture fish.